Systems Engineer IIJob Location Des Moines, Iowa Req ID 117530
Do you love helping an ever growing and changing business achieve its goals? The System Engineer II is responsible for the testing and implementation of changing business needs (requirements) and assisting with the resolution of business problems. This role aids in support of the System Engineer III, for technical support of Windows server systems, virtualization technology, shared storage, email and unified communications, security access controls, and backup/DR. This role is accountable for delivery of services that meet all technical requirements for associates while providing a high level of customer service. A successful candidate will also exhibit strong initiative, time management/prioritization, project management skills and excellent communication. Additionally, the ability to provide strong documentation, accurate testing and deploy solutions will be key measures of success. If you think you have what it takes to be a part of a high preforming team – apply today!
What you’ll do
- Troubleshoot complex technical issues and maintain high system availability in accordance with SLAs.
- Provision new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Resolve help desk tickets as assigned and provides support for problem analysis and resolution to system problems.
- Execute capacity planning and performance tuning on all Windows based systems.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and documentation.
- Participate in communications with customers, partners, and consultants to answer technology questions/concerns, or to provide solutions to technology issues.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Attend meetings, training, and conferences as necessary to ensure that the company’s technology needs are being met, maintaining knowledge of current technologies, and to stay abreast of emerging industry technologies
- Communicate with vendors to obtain system configurations, quoting, and support; as well as maintain and communicate project plans and status updates.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Automate repetitive tasks and identify services or servers that should be automated.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up.
- Work closely with POS, WAN Support group, Enterprise Service Desk, and all other IT functional roles to ensure all IT initiatives, especially system integrity, PCI compliance, and availability, are met.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
What we’re looking for
- Microsoft SQL knowledge.
- Microsoft Exchange/Office365 experience.
- Knowledge of VMWare vSphere/Horizon View.
- Experience with Enterprise Monitoring.
- Microsoft Active Directory/Group Policy knowledge.
- File/Print Services experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office tools.
Other key requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in IT with 2-4 years of system administrator experience preferred or Associates Degree/Technical schooling preferred with 4-8+ years of experience or 2-3 years of experience as a Systems Engineer I.
- Proven communication abilities including excellent training skills, and the ability to explain complex technology in the simplest of terms.
- Communication: Delivers clear, effective communication and listens to others.
- Conceptual/Systems Thinking: Recognizes patterns, trends, themes, and connections in information to develop innovative ideas and solutions.
- Constructive Engagement: Expresses ideas and disagreements, constructively resolves conflict, and encourages others to do the same.
- Customer Orientation: Meets the expectations and needs of internal and external customers.
- Decision Making: Makes good decisions in a timely manner.
- Empowerment: Takes initiative and solves problems.
- Talent Development: Maximizes potential and improves overall performance.
- Influence: Proactively builds relationships and influences others.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving: Accurately assesses problems and effectively and efficiently arrives at solutions.
- Strategic Thinking: Understands the current state and is able to visualize the ideal state and how to achieve it.
About Kum & Go
At Kum & Go, our purpose is to make days better. We do that by connecting with people. Every day, whether in stores or at our Store Support Center headquarters, we take a people-first approach to developing associates, serving customers, and solving problems. We provide a unique working experience where associates are given many opportunities to make connections and to have fun along the way. Our culture is supported by our five core values:
- Passion - We love what we do, and it shows in our work.
- Integrity - We do the right thing, even when it is difficult.
- Teamwork - We believe that greatness is only achieved in unity.
- Caring - We have genuine compassion for our customers, associates, families, and communities.
- Excellence - We expect and deliver superior performance.
For nearly 60 years, Kum & Go has been dedicated to the communities it serves, sharing 10 percent of its profits with charitable causes. For four generations, the family-owned convenience store chain has focused on providing exceptional service and delivering more than customers expect. Established in Hampton, Iowa, in 1959, the chain has since grown to employ more than 5,000 associates in more than 400 stores in 11 states (Iowa, Arkansas, Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wyoming).
Kum & Go is an Equal Opportunity Employer