Category Manager - FoodJob Location Des Moines, Iowa Req ID 118533
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a fast growing company and further develop your personal and professional skills? Kum & Go is currently looking for a Category Manager of Food for Bakery, cold and salad to contribute to Kum & Go’s success by helping to shape the food service experience for our customers. This role will translate passion for the customer into action plans for food categories by leading, developing and executing promotional plans, developing standard operating procedures, developing product offerings, managing supplier relationships, product cost of goods, building annual operating plans and driving the core business P&L. This position works closely with members of marketing and operations to ensure continuity in product offerings and achieving company financial goals in food service and overall company P&L’s. This role is responsible for driving core aspects of food and serves as a subject matter expert, utilizing analytics to measure success.
What you’ll do
- Develops annual business plans to support and execute the strategic vision for food service. Analyzes business results and uses data to make necessary adjustments to continuously improve results achieve company's financial goals. Provides input and participates in development of long term strategies. Communicates with stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Works cross functionally within and outside the organization to create and execute food menu/product offerings, pricing strategies, promotional plans and standard operating procedures that support and achieve company's financial goals.
- Responsible for maintaining, developing and growing supplier relationships while procuring product at best possible costs.
- Proactively seeks out new and emerging trends in the food categories.
- Innovates/develops new products that can be offered in our stores.
- Works cross functionally within organization to determine food service equipment capital needs and develops equipment strategy to support.
- Responds to the needs and requests of clients and Kum & Go management and staff in a professional and expedient manner.
- Exemplifies the company values on a daily basis and adheres to all company policies and procedures.
What we’re looking for
- Retail, Marketing, or Trade / Sales experience in consumer goods or other consumer-oriented businesses; Relevant backgrounds may include: Category Management (Retail), Retail Operations, Retail Buyer / Purchasing / Procurement, Brand Management (Manufacturer), Shopper Marketing, Trade Marketing, Promotion Management, Sales Management, Merchandising Management.
- Ability to create business plans and achieve results via developing and then successfully executing strategic plans, annual plans, budgets, forecasts, promotions, marketing calendars, and other business driving plans and tactics.
- Strong analytical background and ability to discern, analyze, synthesize, and utilize information from a variety of sources; Familiarity with experimental design and other testing methods. Familiarity with Tableau, Nielsen/IRI/SwiftIQ, and other analytical tools / suppliers are strong plusses.
- Track record of successful negotiation, creating win / win scenarios, and correcting sub-optimal situations with business partners.
- Ability to work with a high degree of ambiguity in a fast-paced business environment.
- Customer oriented and passionate about customer service. Knowledge of the convenience store industry and corresponding consumers, suppliers, products, and competitors strongly desired.
- Strategic yet detail oriented; self- starter, prioritization management and able to multi-task.
- Strong communication / presentation skills required.
- Proficient in contemporary business tools (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite, etc.).
Other key requirements
- 5+ years of equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience managing P&L and generating demand.
- Communication: Delivers clear, effective communication and listens to others.
- Conceptual/Systems Thinking: Recognizes patterns, trends, themes, and connections in information to develop innovative ideas and solutions.
- Constructive Engagement: Expresses ideas and disagreements, constructively resolves conflict, and encourages others to do the same.
- Customer Orientation: Meets the expectations and needs of internal and external customers.
- Decision Making: Makes good decisions in a timely manner.
- Empowerment: Takes initiative and solves problems.
- Talent Development: Maximizes potential and improves overall performance.
- Influence: Proactively builds relationships and influences others.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving: Accurately assesses problems and effectively and efficiently arrives at solutions.
- Strategic Thinking: Understands the current state and is able to visualize the ideal state and how to achieve it.
About Kum & Go
At Kum & Go, our purpose is to make days better. We do that by connecting with people. Every day, whether in stores or at our Store Support Center headquarters, we take a people-first approach to developing associates, serving customers, and solving problems. We provide a unique working experience where associates are given many opportunities to make connections and to have fun along the way. Our culture is supported by our five core values:
- Passion - We love what we do, and it shows in our work.
- Integrity - We do the right thing, even when it is difficult.
- Teamwork - We believe that greatness is only achieved in unity.
- Caring - We have genuine compassion for our customers, associates, families, and communities.
- Excellence - We expect and deliver superior performance.
For nearly 60 years, Kum & Go has been dedicated to the communities it serves, sharing 10 percent of its profits with charitable causes. For four generations, the family-owned convenience store chain has focused on providing exceptional service and delivering more than customers expect. Established in Hampton, Iowa, in 1959, the chain has since grown to employ more than 5,000 associates in more than 400 stores in 11 states (Iowa, Arkansas, Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wyoming).
Kum & Go is an Equal Opportunity Employer